Monday, August 15, 2011

Trying to root willow branches, but they die first ?

It's getting go be very frustrating. I tried once last spring or summer and the same thing happened, so I figured I'd try again this year. the willow tree I got the branches from is from a neighbourhood garden that's usually locked up, so I rarely have he opportunity to go in at other times of the year. about four days ago, I cut two 6 foot long, slightly less than pinky-thick branches, and now the leaves are wilting, withering, and falling off. they're both in a coffee pot in partly sunny, south facing room here in Brooklyn, ny. last summer I stuck the branches in some moist soil after a day or two of being in he water, but they died too, so i figured I'd keep them in water this time until roots sprouted. do I just let the leaves die off, and still let the branches sit for a month? or are they simply dead/dying with no hope of rooting? would love to plant one of the branches in my backyard to block the view of my house from my pervert neighbour who lives across the way. I also promised my girlfriend nearly two years ago that I'd grow her a new willow all her own from the tree, and I'm never one to break or back out of a promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment